Wednesday 21 November 2012

Weekend in Christchurch and Roadtrips

So last Friday I was supposed to leave the South Island and fly back to Rotorua. But since my plans were to go there and enjoy being homeless, unemployed and car-less I wasn't too excited about going. So when Fiona asks me if I would like to stay a few more weeks I say; Of course! but my flight leaves tomorrow.. But apparently that's no problem, Fiona and Tonni are buying me a new ticket and I get to stay here! woohoo :)
But we still had the rental car I was supposed to bring up to Christchurch, so I decided to drive up and have a weekend there. That was a great idea! I made some friends at a hostel where Erin (whom I met at another backpackers in Dunedin) works, and on Saturday me, three guys from Argentina and a guy from Israel go on a road-trip to Akoroa.

The Land of the Long White Cloud

Roadtrip! # David, Ben, Santiago and Ninja

One and a half hour roadtrip, here we go!

Look at that people, that's NZ for you!

Feeling special

Look at those heavy clouds. On the way home we drove through the clouds, literarily! Definitely an interesting experience, I'm glad David was driving.

Living on the edge.. god my shoes are getting old, thankfully they cost 7$ at the warehouse!

Scary dark sky in the background, when we arrived it looked..

..like this! 

One of my favorite places so far! wonderful, beautiful New Zealand... 

I lived so cheap this weekend, the guys payed for petroil, lunch, dinner, drinks (there were quite a few) and then I got to stay (or rather sneakily stayed) at there flat for free. They gave me breakfast on Sunday as well, and when going home from Chch (its about three hours) I decided it would be pretty cool to hitch a ride. So I did, and ended up getting picked up by a very nice Mexican guy who bought me a drink on the way on the conditions that he would drive me the whole way home, with was 45 min past his place. Pretty good deal, aye? I seem to be great at dealing with Latino guys! Oh and he asked me out so this Tuesday we went to the movies, and saw a NZ movie called 'how to meet girls at a distance'. Very funny and silly movie :)

me hitch hiking

Cheers!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, Kicki, you are really having the time of your life! It's wonderful! NZ is so beautiful, I wish I could come and visit...We're all doing fine, but it's really dark and getting cold now, you are definitely in the right hemisphere of our earth right now! Johanna is just about done with today's practice of "Sotarpojken" and I am going to meet her at the theatre, and then we're going shopping. Maybe find some glögg and lussebullar somewhere...Oscar is getting in touch with Jonas right now, he wants to spend some time together with him and is prepared to take the bus to Kyrkheddinge. Bengt is singing in his chorus. Everythings fine!
    I wish you all the best! I am so happy to follow your photos and your blog, what an adventure!!! You are a beautiful and courageous girl! Love from auntie Maria

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi! yes I am having the time of my life no doubt, so happy over here and wish I could stay for a few years at least!
    Have zero Christmas feeling though, since its summer over here, haha. And I desperately miss the swedish food and cookies every now and then, especially when people talk about gingerbread men and saffron-buns! but Im getting together with some of the european au pairs and baking before xmas!
    Thanks a lot for all the compliments, I'm happy to know that someone actually reads my blog :) will try to update it more often from now on
    lots of love
    Kicki

    ReplyDelete